Advanced Bugs and Drugs
This course is already included in the Advanced Antimicrobial Stewardship Curriculum. You do not need to purchase access to this course, if you already have access to the Advanced Antimicrobial Stewardship Curriculum.
Ideal for medical students, residents, fellows and others who desire to expand their knowledge of key microbiology and pharmacology concepts. This course can be used collaboratively in a classroom setting, or completed independently. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about how to best utilize this curriculum for your particular needs.
Module 1: Drugs Foundation
Module 2: The Steward's Corner
Module 3: Case 1 - KPC
Module 4: Case 2 - Invasive Candidiasis
Module 5: Case 3 - HSV
Microbiological Learning Objectives
- Discuss rapid diagnostic and resistance/susceptibility testing principles most important to pathogens relevant to stewardship (KPC, Candida spp, HSV).
- Describe principles of phenotypic susceptibility testing, MIC interpretation and apply practical CLSI data effectively relevant to cases (KPC, Candida spp. HSV).
- Outline opportunities for integration of microbiology lab into antimicrobial stewardship initiatives (relevant to both susceptibility testing/reporting and rapid diagnostics/lab stewardship)
Pharmacotherapeutics Learning Objectives
- Customize antimicrobial agent selection based on available phenotypic and/or genotypic microbiological testing results.
- Customize antimicrobial dosage regimens based on available phenotypic and/or genotypic microbiological testing results
- Apply PK/PD data, target indices, and therapeutic drug monitoring to the design of appropriate antimicrobial regimens for patients with altered pharmacokinetics and/or in special populations.
|Name||Individual's role in activity||Name of commercial interest||Nature of Relationship|
|Al Lawati, Hawra||Workgroup Member||None|
|Beeler, Cole||Workgroup Member||None|
|Brennan - Krohn, Thea||Workgroup Member||None|
|Bryson - Cahn, Chloe||Workgroup Member||None|
|Fong, Gary||Workgroup Member||Critical Innovations, LLC||Advisory/Consultant Role|
|Gaston, David C||Panelist||Illumina, Inc||Research reagents|
|IDbyDNA, Inc||Research reagents|
|bioMerieux, Inc||Scientific advisory board|
|Huang, Misha||Workgroup Member||None|
|Justo, Julie Ann||Workgroup Member||bioMerieux||Other remuneration - Speaker's Bureau|
|Kang, Amy||Workgroup Member||None|
|Luther, Vera||Workgroup Member||None|
|MacDougall, Conan||Workgroup Member||None|
|Miller, Matt||Workgroup Member||Abbvie||Honoraria|
|Moenster, Ryan||Workgroup Member||Shionogi||Advisory/Consultant Role, Honoraria|
|Abbvie/Allergan||Advisory/Consultant Role, Honoraria|
|Melinta Therapeutics||Advisory/Consultant Role, Honoraria|
|Merck||Advisory/Consultant Role, Honoraria|
|Nori, Priya||Workgroup Chair||Merck||Co-infections in COVID-19 patients|
|Paras, Molly||Workgroup Member||None|
|Rodvold, Keith||Workgroup Member||BLC USA LP||Advisory/Consultant Role, Honoraria|
|VenatoRx||Advisory/Consultant Role, Honoraria|
|Medicine Company/Qpex Biopharma||Advisory/Consultant Role, Honoraria|
|Vemco Med Ed. (Merck CME/CPE programs)||Advisory/Consultant Role, Honoraria|
|Debipharm||Advisory/Consultant Role, Honoraria|
|Shionogi||Advisory/Consultant Role, Honoraria|
|Unrestricted education grant for CME/CPE Program|
|Utility Therapeutics||Advisory/Consultant Role, Honoraria|
|Janssen||Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB)|
|Clinartis LLC (projects associated with Spero Therapeutics and Sinovent)||Advisory/Consultant Role, Honoraria|
|USCAST : US Ctte on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing||Voting Committee Member|
|Spicer, Jennifer||Workgroup Member||None|
|Stead, Wendy||Workgroup Member||None|
|Stohs, Erica||Workgroup Member||Reviral Ltd||Research Grant|
This version of the curriculum is not accredited for CME or MOC.