Rising Leaders is an Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) Leadership Institute Program.
Rising Leaders is an online-only, open-registration training program focused on equipping emerging infectious diseases and HIV practitioners across the healthcare team with the foundational skills needed to maximize early career leadership and training opportunities. Attendees will establish the framework for a healthy and impactful career, develop tools and strategies to navigate leadership challenges that slow or stifle others, and map out their development journey in the short and medium-term.
Topics & Schedule
The Rising Leaders training program runs from Monday, January 3, 2022, to Thursday, March 3, 2022, and covers the following topics:
- Leadership Styles & Team Management
- Peer Coaching & Mentorship
- Communication & Conflict Resolution
- Problem Solving & Management Skills
- Anti-Racism, Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion
Asynchronous activities may be completed at the attendee's convenience. Synchronous activities are offered every other week on an A/B schedule. Attendees may not switch schedules once the program has started.
Please click the Program tab above for a detailed schedule.
In addition to the learning objectives detailed below, Rising Leaders will benefit from the following program features.
Leaders are assigned to persistent, 4 to 6 person Accountability Groups. Group members will come to know one another through the live sessions and assist in goal setting and reflection.
Leaders will work with their Accountability Groups and session facilitators to develop detailed action plans to establish a foundation for learning, collaboration, and growth.
Leadership Skill Self-Assessment
Leaders will complete the 30-item self-assessment (Leadership Practices Inventory - LPI - Self, 5th Edition®). Backed by over 30 years of ongoing research, this instrument provides leaders a simple and powerful way to explore specific leadership behaviors and plan for future leadership development.
This program is designed for emerging infectious diseases and HIV practitioners across the health care team or for an ID practitioner of any seniority seeking to learn or refresh on the fundamentals of leadership.
There is no application. Registration is capped at 50.
Established leaders or leaders with significant previous leadership training experience may wish to consider the Community of Leaders.*
Participants will be able to:
- Analyze their practices in peer-to-peer coaching sessions
- Define and apply foundational leadership theories and styles
- Analyze problem solving and management tools and methodologies
- Describe the role and best practices of antiracist leaders
- Manage, mitigate, and confront bias
All asynchronous content will be available by Monday, January 3, 2022. Attendees may review webinars, readings, and additional materials at their convenience, but IDSA recommends that asynchronous learning modules be completed by the following dates:
- Leadership Styles & Team Management: Tuesday, January 4
- Peer Coaching & Mentorship: Tuesday, January 18
- Communication & Conflict Resolution: Tuesday, February 1
- Problem Solving & Management Skills: Tuesday, February 15
- Anti-Racism, Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion: Tuesday, March 1
Activities include prerecorded webinars, readings, and discussion board participation. We expect that total asynchronous engagement should sum up to approximately 90-minutes per week.
Synchronous Learning Sessions*
Working under the instruction of our expert faculty, leaders will meet for 60-minutes every other week via Zoom to reflect on the themes of the most recent unit and to further develop their action plan in their Accountability Groups. Attendees must select either the A Schedule or B Schedule. A Rising Leaders program representative will contact you after registration to confirm your schedule selection. Attendees must commit to attending the full synchronous schedule.
All times Eastern.
- Orientation | Tuesday, January 4 | 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Peer Coaching & Mentorship | Tuesday, January 18 | 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Communication & Conflict Resolution | Tuesday, February 1 | 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Problem Solving & Management Skills | Tuesday, February 15 | 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Anti-Racism, Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion | Tuesday, March 1 | 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
All times Eastern.
- Orientation | Thursday, January 6 | 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Peer Coaching & Mentorship | Thursday, January 20 | 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Communication & Conflict Resolution | Thursday, February 3 | 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Problem Solving & Management Skills | Thursday, February 17 | 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Anti-Racism, Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion | Thursday, March 3 | 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
IDSA is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
CME and MOC credit will be available for both the asynchronous and synchronous portions of the Rising Leaders program.
Note: IDSA is unable to offer pediatric MOC credit for this program.