Section 1: Introduction to Antimicrobial Stewardship (Faculty)
Section 1: Introduction to Antimicrobial Stewardship
Content in this section covers 3 main topics. These include:
- An Introduction to Antimicrobial Stewardship
- A Brief Overview of the Side Effects of Antibiotics, and
- The Role of Diagnostics in Antimicrobial Stewardship
As the faculty or stewardship champion leading this effort, you can decide how the content is distributed and presented to your stewards- in- training.
The fellow/trainee can watch the eLearning on their own, followed by a debrief between fellow and faculty.
To present in a classroom or small group setting, there are two methods of delivery:
You can open the eLearning and let it talk for you, controlling the slides and the pace
|You can open the presentation, narrating the slides yourself.|
At the bottom of this course landing page, you will find a handout highlighting AS Core Concepts that are introduced in this section. Knowledge check questions embedded in the eLearnings and presentations provide a mechanism to assess understanding of concepts.
Program Directors, Antimicrobial Stewardship Faculty Champions, and additional Faculty responsible for leading and implementing the CAS Curriculum.
Upon completion of this section, stewards- in- training will be able to:
- Define antimicrobial stewardship, its programmatic goals, and key strategies to achieve the goals
- Relate trends and patterns between antimicrobial use and resistance
- Recognize adverse events associated with the use of specific antimicrobials, including the risk for development of C. difficile infections
- Describe the role of clinical and laboratory diagnostic tools in improving antimicrobial use
- Define expected outcomes of an ASP