Section 1: Introduction to Antimicrobial Stewardship (Global)
Content in this section is available through 3 eLearning modules with additional supporting documentation.
This section covers 3 main topics. These include:
- An Introduction to Antimicrobial Stewardship
- A Brief Overview of the Side Effects of Antibiotics, and
- The Role of Diagnostics in Antimicrobial Stewardship
There is a handout highlighting Core AS Concepts that are introduced in this section. Knowledge check questions embedded in the eLearning also provide a mechanism to assess understanding of concepts.
- Fellows/Trainees in Antimicrobial Stewardship Training Program
- Infectious Disease professionals who desire to learn more about antimicrobial stewardship but are not in a participating fellowship program, no longer in fellowship, or generally would like to gain more knowledge on the subject.
Upon completion of this section, you will be able to:
- Define antimicrobial stewardship, its programmatic goals, and key strategies to achieve the goals
- Relate trends and patterns between antimicrobial use and resistance
- Recognize adverse events associated with the use of specific antimicrobials, including the risk for development of C. difficile infections
- Describe the role of clinical and laboratory diagnostic tools in improving antimicrobial use
- Define expected outcomes of an ASP