Section 3: Educating and Coaching on Antimicrobial Stewardship (Global)
Content in this section is available through 4 communication skills eLearning scenarios. These include:
- Educating and Coaching on AS - Deference to Seniority
- Educating and Coaching on AS - De-escalation and the Outlier Prescriber
- Educating and Coaching on AS - Overly Broad Empiricism
- Educating and Coaching on AS - Pediatric Telehealth
When you are ready to begin:
Ideally, you will begin by reading a brief primer on AS-related communication skills and behavioral psychology.
Next, faculty should lead one or more small group discussions while working through the modules as a group. If faculty resources are unavailable, you may complete the eLearning modules on their own. You should complete module, "Deference to Seniority" first.
This section contains a NARROWS mnemonic and reference pocket card to help you structure and remember AS communication skills to positively influence the prescribing habits of others.
- Fellows/Trainees in Antimicrobial Stewardship Training Program
- Infectious Disease professionals who desire to learn more about antimicrobial stewardship but are not in a participating fellowship program, no longer in fellowship, or generally would like to gain more knowledge on the subject.
Upon completion of this section, you will be able to:
- Explain key behavioral psychology concepts that influence antimicrobial prescribing
- Propose effective techniques to change antimicrobial prescribing practices
- Use provider education techniques to effect change in antimicrobial prescribing
- Demonstrate communication skills to influence antimicrobial prescribing habits of